West Coast Players will hold auditions for The Lyons by Nicky Silver on Sunday and Monday January 15 and 16, 2017 at 7 p.m. at the theatre. Directed by Ron Zietz.
Production dates are March 3 – 19 (3 weekends).
Ben Lyons is in a hospital where he is dying from cancer. His family gathers around him. They are his wife, Rita, and grown children, Curtis Lyons and Lisa Lyons. Also present is his nurse. Ben is no longer constrained by manners and says whatever he wishes, including expletives. Rita, trapped in a 40-year loveless marriage, now thinks of the future without Ben and plans to re-decorate. Lisa is an alcoholic, who has left an abusive marriage; Curtis, homosexual, has had little to do with his father, who is homophobic. In a getaway from the hospital, Curtis looks at an apartment with the help of an actor moonlighting as a real estate agent.
The play is simultaneously heartbreaking and hilarious.
Director Ron Zietz will be casting 6 actors for this comedy, 3 men and 3 women.
- Ben Lyons— late 70’s, a dying man; an angry, emotionally remote man; riddled with cancer and expected to expire at any moment; although he is at the end of his life, he is not without energy.
- Rita Lyons— 60’s – 70’s, she is self-involved, acts as if nothing unusual is happening, as she nonchalantly leafs through decorator magazines and asks her husband what style he’d like for the new living room.
- Lisa Lyons— late 30’s, their daughter; a recovering alcoholic struggling with two small sons and an abusive ex-husband.
- Curtis Lyons— 30’s, their son; a gay man whose relationship with the unseen Peter appears to be the only happy bond in the family, but we later learn it’s an elaborate sham.
- Nurse (Jeanette) — 40ish
- Brian— 27-35, an actor who sells real estate on the side; a very attractive real estate broker
West Coast Players Theatre is located at 21905 US 19 North, Clearwater, FL. Directions to the theatre can be found here.
West Coast Players is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation.
To change your email address select “Update your Profile” here and then enter your email address, or click in the update link in an email from us.